We want to make sure all participants can experience the Festival with minimum environmental impact.
A number of actions are being taken to reduce the carbon and overall environmental footprint of the event and offset unavoidable greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions related to it:
- The Global Festival of Action for Sustainable Development is taking the ‘Climate Neutral Now’ pledge by partnering with the United Nations Framework for Climate Change Convention (UNFCCC) to measure, reduce, report and compensate for emissions spent on hosting the event (including those associated with participant travel).
Reduced Paper Use
- There will be no printed agenda, publications library or paper handouts. Instead, the Festival will feature an events app and digital signage.
- Help us deliver a paperless festival by avoiding any printing and photocopying required for use during the event.
- For those who can’t make it to Bonn, a live streaming of the plenary sessions and the SDG Studio will be available, allowing virtual audiences to experience the festival without travelling.
- Don’t be shy! We welcome your participation in the discussions by joining interactive Facebook live transmissions and live-tweeting. Make sure to follow the hashtag #SDGglobalFest.
- We make every effort to avoid the generation of waste and encourage the separation of unavoidable waste using differently marked bins to ensure maximum recycling. Be part of our task force and help us recycle!
- Reusable water bottles distributed to participants will limit the generation of plastic waste.
Food and Catering
- The catering is done through a “Green Globe” and “Sustainable Bonn” certified company, which prioritises the use of regional products, and tea and coffee from organic fair trade cultivation. Special attention is paid to the avoidance of food waste by calculating precise quantities and attempting to re-use.
- Leftover food in good condition is picked up and re-distributed in cooperation with the German association Foodsharing e.V.
- Organic waste is processed into biogas.